Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ravenna Italy


The ship docked about half an hour from the center of town but there was a complimentary shuttle provided from the ship into town. I took the shuttle after a leisurely morning letting everyone in a hurry get off the ship and into town.

The best thing to do in Ravenna was apparently being on the 7:30 am ship’s tour to San Marino to get passports stamped. That is what the passengers who are “collecting countries” opted to do. We are counting the countries we have been to but are not so into it that we would get up around 6 am to make the trip.

The shuttle dropped us off a couple of blocks from the train station in one direction and all of the main sites within walking distance in the other direction. I managed to find Dante’s tomb, the Duomo, Basilica, and most importantly a tourist information center. I looked everywhere as I walked for “WC” and found none. At the tourist info center there were much better maps and I was able to locate the nearest “WC.” In Venice all of the public toilets cost 1.5 Euros but in Ravenna, it cost only .25 Euro – a real bargain. Right now a US dollar is equal to .69 Euros at the bank exchange rate so we can ballpark the exchange by adding a third to the prices.

In each new port, it is always difficult to figure out the basics such as where there are public toilets and how much they cost, how the public transportation works, and how to mail postcards. I found the Poste Italia at Piazza Garibaldi without any trouble but then I couldn’t figure out how the lines worked. It seemed to never be my turn, so I asked and was told to go to the ticket machine, press “P” and get a number. Then it was quickly my turn and I was able to have postcards of Venice stamped to be mailed from Ravenna.

There were very nice clothing stores with very large Euro prices, many cafes, some produce markets where I almost bought a quart of strawberries for 6 Euros. It is a Saturday so many of the locals were walking around the town enjoying the nice weather just like the tourists.

I wandered back to the shuttle pick-up point and stumbled upon the 5th century Battistero degli Ariani and its mosaic ceiling. From the shuttle I was able to get some photos of these unusual fishing shacks with nets that drop into the water and fill up with fish.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sharon --

    You are getting pretty good at this. Any chance that you will go native? When I was in Italy in 1973 (a lot younger with long dark hair and with my 1/2 Italian ancestry), the locals would speak to me in Italian as though I were a local. I think it always startled them when I responded with a blank look and a broad American accent. Again, you make me wish I were there. With the pictures and your narrative, I can feel what it is like walking through the town.
    Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are very good, and it is always interesting to have your impressions of the sights and experiences. You do sound somewhat subdued. Judi and the ms Amsterdam are today in Cadiz and about ready to head back across he South Atlantic to Fort Lauderdale.
    How is Jerry? You should have bought that basket of strawberries in Ravenna!

    ReplyDelete