Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Counting down to sailing

The list is slowly getting checked off but the pace of checking off had better accelerate. We now have two days before we leave. We have to pack! Yikes! Do we ever have to pack. I hope that our previous long cruises will really make packing for 62 days easy. Today we tested empty suitcases in the car to make sure that there is room for us, a driver, and 5 suitcases for the 2 of us. They fit but with no room to spare. Fortunately we have only a 45 minute ride to the port since the way the bags fit is with 2 large bags on the back seat between us.

The only decisions I have made so far are about the clothes for formal nights. There will be nine formal nights and I had no trouble choosing which dresses to take with me this time. The ship is usually so cold at night that I end up trying to keep warm by wearing a jacket or a shawl anyway.

While we were in Key Largo with my brother yesterday, I found a pair of water shoes in the Pennekamp State Park store so my shopping is complete. The snorkeling (for my brother) was excellent and J and I enjoyed sitting on the beach, eating at the picnic tables, soaking up the sun.

Today I read the news that Costa Cruises has dropped calls in Tunisia, Israel, and Alexandria, Egypt through the end of the year. There was also violence in Alexandria which resulted in 14 dead and over 100 injured according to one report. Although some cruise lines have canceled calls in Egypt, we still have no word about our calls in Alexandria and Port Said.

Today I stumbled upon something that gave me another reason to look forward to being on the ship. A few years ago, while on a cruise, I watched the performance of Livewire: A Whirlwind of Music and Celtic Spirit. After the performance I wanted one of their CD's but I didn't buy one. So the next day I went to the shop on the ship to see if I could purchase one there. The shop did have them, but when performers leave the ship they take their CD's with them and Livewire was gone as were their CD's. I searched online for them with only the name since that was all I could recall,  but there was a more famous group named Livewire and I was not able to find the group I was searching for.

Since this was our first time sailing on a Holland America Line ship, our travel agent had given us some of the daily publications from his last cruise with HAL. One of the performances was by Livewire and the listing included the Whirlwind description, so, of course, with that additional information I had no trouble locating their website. And this is the surprise part, Livewire will perform on the Prisendam in April while we are onboard. I will be first in line this time to purchase a CD.

 You can check them out. And no comments about my taste in music! I like a wide variety of simple music.

More last minute details tomorrow and packing for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment